Yarn Weights Chart – This chart has the standard yarn weights according to the Craft Yarn Council and the weight descriptions of each of the ColourSpun yarns.
Different countries have different ways of describing yarn. If you want to substitute yarn it helps to know how they differ. ColourSpun yarns use the UK terms to describe the different yarn weights used.
If you are not sure of what your yarn’s weight is, measure the wraps per inch (WPI)
To do this you will need a WPI tool or a flat ruler marked in inches –
- Tie or tape the end of your yarn to the tool/ruler
- Gently roll the yarn onto the tool/ruler over 1 inch
- Make sure that your yarn is neither stretched nor loose and that the wraps are all touching but not overlapping
- Count the number of wraps over 1 inch and refer to the chart for the description of your yarn
You will notice that some of the WPI counts overlap – the density of the yarn comes into play here.
- This method works for smooth yarns, results for fluffy yarns such as mohair or textured novelty yarns will not be accurate.
This free download is print friendly so that you can keep the print copy handy.
Number of Pages
Because you chose the Yarn Weights Chart, we have added links below to a few more products you may like
- Alphabetical Cotton Colour Stash Tracker
- Pure Cotton Yarn and Scintilla Colour Catalogue
- Project Planner