These are general washing instructions for any dyed natural fibres, whether they have been dyed commercially or by hand.
- Hand wash, separately, in cool water using a mild soap. Our Pure Cotton, Cotton Scintilla and Pure Merino yarns are also machine washable, providing the wool or delicate cycle is used. Do not machine wash Kid Mohair.
- Do not soak.
- Colour catchers are recommended, especially for darker colours, in the first few washes as residual dye may still remain on the fibre. Please note that colour catchers will also absorb residue left in your washing machine from previous washes.
- Please ensure that your washing machine is clean, a dirty washing machine will make your washing look grey and dull. Read this article on how to clean your washing machine.
- It is good practice to test darker yarns before starting your project. Cut a length of yarn off and place in a clean, white container with cool water and a little of your usual laundry soap or detergent. Leave to soak for about half an hour, remove the yarn from the water and then check for colour in the water. A tiny bit of colour in the water is not unusual, especially from hand dyed yarns. Repeat this test on your swatch.
- Certain laundry products may leach dye, it is best to use a mild soap.
- Do not use bleach.
- Dry items flat, out of direct sunlight and ease into shape if necessary.
- Blocking is recommended.
- Do not iron.
We use earth friendly, fibre reactive dyes that have GOTS and Bluesign approval and conform to Oeko-tex standards. All ColourSpun fabric, yarn and threads are tested for wash fastness after drying, re-washed if necessary and then tested again. We use a selection of laundry products to test with, but it isn’t possible to test every eventuality, so, in the event of the unthinkable happening, here are links to a couple of “fix it” articles
It has been brought to our notice that certain other yarns may leach colour. Due to the fact that we have no control over other yarns, we cannot accept responsibility for any colour transfer if other yarns are used with ColourSpun.